Prayers/Lord's Prayer, The
Introduction and Background
- The Lord's Prayer is the prayer that the Jesus taught to his disciples in the gospels of Matthew and Luke.
See Detailed notes at Teachings/Prayer/Lord's Prayer, The
Our Father (traditional)
As our Saviour taught us, so we pray,
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power, and the glory
for ever and ever.
the Embolism (liturgy)
This prayer is known as the “embolism” and is used after the Lord’s Prayer in the liturgy. It functions "like a marginal gloss" upon the final petition of the Lord's Prayer (". . . deliver us from evil"), amplifying and elaborating on "the many implications" of that prayer.
Deliver us, Lord, we pray,
from every evil and graciously grant peace in our days,
that, by the help of your mercy,
we may be always free from sin and safe from all distress,
as we await the blessed hope and the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Our Father (contemporary paraphrase)
Dallas Willard’s Paraphrase of The Lord’s Prayer, from The Divine Conspiracy
Dear Father always near us,
may your name be treasured and loved,
may your rule be completed in us—
may your will be done here on earth in
just the way it is done in heaven.
Give us today the things we need today,
and forgive us our sins and impositions on you
as we are forgiving all who in any way offend us.
Please don’t put us through trials,
but deliver us from everything bad.
Because you are the one is charge,
and you have all the power,
and the glory too is all yours—forever—
which is just the way we want it!
- OUR FATHER ~ Bukas Palad with Lyrics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Y6zeOmRf4
- The Lord's Prayer sung by Denyce Graves (LIVE at the 9/11 remembrance ceremony) - https://youtu.be/JnsO3BBMjA0
- The Lord's Prayer sung by Andrea Bocelli (LIVE) - https://youtu.be/u8jImIjg4UY?t=54
- Our Father (LIVE) - Bethel Music & Jenn Johnson | For the Sake of the World - https://youtu.be/ln9Ls_fIqe0
- Jason Upton - Teach me how to pray - https://youtu.be/XKQNLDHD6uI
- See Dallas Willard's teaching on YouTube: https://youtu.be/LQGu6G-cuG0?t=4561
- “The Lord’s Prayer,” The Church of England, accessed August 23, 2021, https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/worship-texts-and-resources/common-worship/common-material/lords-prayer.
- Dallas Willard, The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life in God, 1st ed. (San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1998), 269.
- Dallas Willard explains that temptations is not a precise translation. It is referring to trials.